84% Of Americans Thinks Congress Sucks. The Other 16% Misunderstood The Question

Posted: August 6, 2011 in Current Events, Politics
Tags: , , ,

Yes, President Obama’s approval rating has fallen with the whole debt ceiling debacle (though really it has pretty much just returned to pre-killing Bin Laden levels).  However, Congress would be overjoyed to have Obama-like approval numbers right now.  The approval for Congress is at its lowest level ever (at least since they started measuring such things).  I actually would love to know what part of the Congressional performance that the 14% is approving.  So Congress finally pushed through a bill to raise the debt ceiling.  But don’t worry Congress, no one is under the mistaken believe that you’ve actually accomplished anything.  Your reputation of being worthless is secure!

  • The “crisis” was totally of Washington’s own making.  The debt ceiling only serves as an obstacle to borrowing for spending already approved by Congress.  So Congress is telling the executive branch it must spend money on certain things, but it can’t borrow money to spend that money even if you don’t have the money.  So either way, not raising the debt ceiling means a violation of law one way or the other.
  • They were trying to avoid a downgrade in the country’s credit rating.  Friday, Standard & Poor’s downgraded this country’s credit rating anyway.  (Though given Standard & Poor’s own role in this economic mess with their triple-A rating credit default swaps, I’m not sure how much credibility Standard & Poor’s should have.)
  • The debt ceiling deal has zero, zilch, nada, a big fat goose egg of things in it that will create jobs and help the economy.  This is our most immediate need, and yet we are doing nothing.
  • Not only this, but the current political environment leaves us with almost no options for the government to implement policy that can help create jobs.  Stimulus spending is not politically viable right now.  Most other options include simply extending tax cuts we already have that don’t seem to be working.
  • We also don’t have an environment that will allow this country to actually solve the long-term issue of the debt.  Think after this whole mess that both sides are going to actually sit down and put together a plan that will thoughtfully find ways to increase revenue and reform entitlements?

You know, I have heard people say that government is “broken” for a long time.  I am not sure that’s been true in the past.  It has certainly been inefficient and messy.  But things did use to get done.  It looks like we may have reached that point now that government really can’t solve anything.  Not even partially.  It is truly broken.  At least until we start electing representatives that realize that reasonable people can disagree, compromise is not a dirty word, and that slogans, mottoes, and pledges are not the best way to govern.

Share

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s