This President has:
- Authorized a vast expansion of our CIA drone program to kill people, even if we don’t know who they are, despite the evidence that such aggression tends to strengthen terrorist organizations, not weaken them (not to mention the pesky moral ramifications of killing of innocent civilians that tend to go along with such drone strikes).
- Authorized the assassination of U.S. citizen Anwar al-Awlaki (pesky court system is too much trouble I guess).
- Authorized military action against another sovereign nation without first asking for Congressional approval (pesky Constitution). Continued military action even when the eventual Congressional approval vote failed.
- Has prosecuted more whistleblowers under the Espionage Act than all other Presidents combined. (pesky pledge of transparency)
- Signed into law a provision that allows United States to hold foreign nationals indefinitely. (pesky due process)
- Continues to support the extension of the Patriot Act. (pesky past criticism of Patriot Act)
- Using the death of a human being for political gain by leaking selected information, while at the same time refusing to disclose materials about the death so that the claims can be scrutinize under the premise that doing so would threaten national security. (pesky freedom of information)
Who is it? No, I already said it wasn’t George W. Bush! It’s Barack H.Obama. Interesting that he is able to fly more under the radar than Bush even when he has employed a pretty similar philosophy on national security, foreign activities, and disclosures and such. The right-wingers aren’t going to go after him because they are pretty ok with all of this. The left-wingers won’t go after him either, because as it turns out they are pretty ok with it too, just so long as it is one of their guys in charge of the decision-making. (Looks like to me lefties just don’t want to use boots on the ground, but are pretty ok with killing people in other countries through any other means.) Just my observation. (pesky bloggers)